Toyota Rolls Out New Supra
17.05.2019: -Sales appointments in Japan for the Matte Storm Gray Metallic RZ for this fiscal year are now being accepted online only-
· Packaging in pursuit of the fundamental performance of a pure sports car
-Sales appointments in Japan for the Matte Storm Gray Metallic RZ for this fiscal year are now being accepted online only-
· Packaging in pursuit of the fundamental performance of a pure sports car
· Styling that leverages sports car packaging and layout characteristics
· Technology that supports outstanding driving performance and maneuverability honed on the roads of the world
· The latest preventive safety performance, and safe, worry-free, comfortable, and convenient connected services
· Equipped with TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Recorder that offers a new way to enjoy cars
Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announces the launch of the new Supra in Japan at Toyota dealers nationwide. Requests for sales appointments for the 24 Matte Storm Gray Metallic*1 Supra RZ scheduled for production this fiscal year will be accepted online only*2 for approximately one month from 1:00 p.m. on Friday, May 17, 2019 to Friday, June 14, 2019*3.
The order of the sales appointments will be decided in a draw to be announced on the day of Germany's 47th 24 Hours of Nürburgring endurance race (June 22 to June 23) in which the new Supra is taking part.
Supra RZ (Matte Storm Gray Metallic exterior color) Options shown
The new Supra is the first global model of TOYOTA GAZOO Racing's GR sports car series. Ever since first competing in Germany's 24 Hours of Nürburgring endurance race in 2007, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has been aiming through its motorsports activities to develop its cars and people, with the goal of "making ever-better cars." The knowledge and know-how it has built up over the years have been funneled into bringing the Supra back to life in the form of the "GR Supra,"*4 as a car that people the world over will find fun to drive.
The new Supra produced at the Magna Steyr, Graz Plant in Austria is the first product in a comprehensive collaboration with BMW*5. Following shipment by sea, the cars will pass through Toyota's Motomachi plant for delivery to customers in Japan.
The all-new fifth-generation*6 Supra marks the end of a 17-year hiatus since the conclusion of production of the previous generation in 2002. Ever since the Supra's inception in 1978*6, all generations have been front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles powered by an inline six-cylinder engine. The latest rendition is no exception.
This time around, extensive attention has also been paid to the three fundamental elements of wheelbase, tread, and center of gravity, thus achieving handling performance befitting a pure sports car.
*1 Separate option price of 320,000 yen (consumption tax included) will incur.
*3 The sales method of cars to be produced in the next fiscal year has not been determined yet.
*4 The name given for marketing activity. The name reported to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism is “Supra.”
*5 Concluded on Jan, 2013
*6 The first-generation Supra was launched in 1978. In Japan, it was released as Celica XX (Double X). Japan's first-generation Supra (launched in 1986) is the third generation globally.
Sales outlets: TOYOTA, TOYOPET, Toyota “Corolla,” Toyota “Netz” nationwide, and Toyota Mobility Tokyo, Inc.
Production plant Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG Graz Plant (Austria)
Manufacturer's suggested retail prices
Grade Engine Transmission Driveline Price*
SZ B48 (2.0 liter) 8-speed Sports
RZ B58 (3.0 liter) 6,900,000 ◎
* Includes consumption tax and does not include recycling fees. Separate pricing applies for Okinawa.
◎: Model shown (excluding options)
1. Packaging in pursuit of the fundamental origins of a pure sports car
· To achieve excellent handling and a stable cornering stance, the three elements of wheelbase, tread, and center of gravity were positioned as the most important factors in pursuing the ideal conception of a pure sports car.
Supra RZ (Matte Storm Gray Metallic exterior color) Options shown
· Being straightforward about the model being a two-seater, at 2,470 mm, its wheelbase is 100 mm shorter than that of the 86.
· The relatively short wheelbase results in a wheelbase-to-tread ratio of 1.55*1, one of the smallest ratios among mass-production sports cars, contributing to excellent turning performance.
· All-out efforts were made to lower the center of gravity, resulting in a lower center of gravity than in the 86, which features a horizontally opposed engine.
· An ideal 50/50 distribution in front/rear weight balance, which is one of the crucial elements in determining cornering performance, was achieved.
2. Styling that fully leverages sports car packaging and layout characteristics
Condensed Extreme L6 FR “TOYOTA” Sports
Sports styling suitable for a Toyota flagship model was achieved by fully leveraging sports car packaging and layout characteristics.
· Side-view packaging that emphasizes the presence of the wheels and tires, thanks to a short wheelbase and large-diameter wheels
· A two-seater-appropriate, close-fitting cabin and a super-wide stance born of a wide tread
· The long-nose, short-cabin silhouette of an inline-6, front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sports car
The design adopts a condensed body contour with optimal engine position to focus on suppressing the generation of lift in aerodynamics and the most suitable aerodynamic balance and weight distribution between the front and rear for a sports car.
The styling inherits the heritage of Toyota Sports from the Toyota 2000GT and fourth-generation Supra, such as a "double-bubble" roof*2, which contributes to reduced air friction, and an approach for creating a condensed body design by positioning headlights more inwardly from the sides of the vehicle to lend a more voluminous appearance to the fenders.
Supra RZ (Ignition Red interior)
A thin, flat, and linear instrument panel was designed to create greater visibility at high speeds and make it easier to feel positional changes of the vehicle.
Visual recognition and operation system instruments (gauges, Head-Up Display, paddle switch, steering switch, and other) necessary for sport driving are compactly arranged directly in front of the driver. A seamless flow from the door trim to the console knee pads realizes a new compact cockpit style that surrounds the driver.
A centralized gauge layout (equipped with an 8.8-inch high definition color monitor), which features instruments required for sport driving such as the tachometer and shift indicator, is optimally positioned to enable a natural sightline of the gauges through the small-diameter steering wheel.
Featuring high back seats to securely cradle and hold the driver's body with a focus on the lower back, the interior design was created based on our interior designer's actual driving experience on racing circuits.
Interior and exterior colors
Attention was paid to the texture and shading as well as reflectiveness of the body surface to further highlight the sense of power created by the contour of the vehicle.
· Eight exterior color options are available including two optional colors, the sporty and vivid Lightning Yellow and the newly developed color Matte Storm Gray Metallic that accentuates the silhouette.
The driver-oriented interior accentuated by a beautifully blended color scheme pursues the functionality of driving with distinctly designed materials and color coordination.
· Available in two colors: Ignition Red, which surrounds the driver in a sporty and sophisticated rich hue that enhances the revamped cockpit style, and Black, which creates a sharp-looking space that leverages materials with different textures.
3. Technologies that support driving and maneuverability honed on the roads of the world
High-rigidity body for a higher state of driving performance
· In addition to a thick, straight skeletal structure that prioritizes driving performance, aluminum and steel are employed in the most optimal locations, and by pursuing ways to increase bonding strength among materials of differing composition, body rigidity up to 2.5 times higher than that of the 86 was achieved. Rigidity is even higher than that of the Lexus LFA, which features a cabin constructed of carbon fiber-reinforced plastics.
An inline-6 turbo that carries on tradition and an inline-4 turbo to easily enjoy sporty driving
· The tradition of an inline, six-cylinder engine found in successive generations of the Supra is carried on in the form of a 6.3-liter, inline-6, twin-scroll turbocharged*3 engine. Maximum torque of 500 N·m is produced at a low engine revolution of 1,600 rpm, allowing exhilaration from acceleration that perfectly matches expectations in line with accelerator-pedal operation.
· Available are two differently tuned 2.0-liter, inline-4, twin-scroll turbocharged engines. One, with a high-performance maximum output of 190 kW (258 PS), is ideal for light, sporty driving in combination with a lightweight vehicle body, while the other, which musters 145 kW (197 PS), allows for a brisk driving sensation from in-town to highway.
A suspension that enables precise vehicle control
· A newly designed suspension is characterized by reduced unsprung weight, high-rigidity assembly, and minute movability. The aluminum front suspension and subframe contribute to the optimization of weight allocation between the front and rear.
· Certain grades feature the Adaptive Variable Suspension system*4, which provides a high level of both drivability and riding comfort by optimally controlling such elements as the selected driving mode and the damping force of each wheel's shock absorber depending on the conditions of the road surface.
An active differential for heightened turning performance and stability*5
· While coordinating with the Vehicle Stability Control system, an active differential optimally and seamlessly controls the locking ratio between the rear left and right wheels in a range of zero to 100 by way of an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch. High cornering speed, stability, and neutral steering characteristics were realized.
Maneuverability honed on the roads of the world
· With importance placed on the environments in which customers drive in the real world, proving runs were thoroughly and repeatedly conducted on regular roads during various stages of development. Such runs naturally included racing-speed drives at Nürburgring. But numerous tests were also held on a wide range of roads throughout the world, such as country roads in Europe, the Autobahn in Germany, snow-covered and ice-covered roads in Northern Europe, highways in the United States, and winding roads in Japan. The result is tuning aimed at enabling drivers to experience the joy of driving the new Supra even in everyday situations.
4. The latest preventive safety technologies, and safe, worry-free, comfortable, and convenient connected services
The latest preventive safety technologies are standard on all models.
· A pre-collision safety system (millimeter wave radar + monocular camera) to detect preceding vehicles or pedestrians (day) and bikes (day) to support collision prevention and mitigate damage
· A blind spot monitor to detect vehicles in blind spots in other lanes
· Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with full-speed range that supports driving behind the car in front.
· Lane departure alert to assist steering when it senses that drivers have veered from their lane
All models come standard with an on-board Data Communication Module (DCM), and a Supra exclusive connected service called Toyota Supra Connect is available.
· Remote Service enables remote operation and checking of the vehicle using a dedicated smartphone application*6
· Battery Guard that automatically notifies owners by email when the battery is running low
· Apple CarPlay® that enables hands-free operation of iPhones during driving
5. TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Recorder*7 offers a new way to enjoy cars
Vehicle information recording device based on GAZOO Racing technology
· A data logger records driver operating information such as acceleration, braking, steering, and shift positions, and various sensor values, including vehicle velocity, engine rotation and acceleration, vehicle position, and direction data are stored on SD cards.
· The information recorded on SD cards can be displayed with the GAZOO Racing Data Viewer*8. Up to two videos can be played, and when the video is recorded with the recommended Action Cam*9 (sold separately), video playback is automatically synchronized in time with the recorded information. Driving routes can also be displayed/played in Microsoft Bing Maps*10.
*1 For RZ and SZ-R grades. 1.54 for SZ grade. It is said that mobility (turning performance) increases the closer this ratio is to 1 while handling stability (straight line stability) increases the closer this ratio is to 2.
*2 A roof that features two small, outwardly protruding bulges -- one above the driver's seat and the other above the front passenger seat.
*3 The emissions route from the engine to the turbine are split into a large path and a small path. During low engine speeds, by opening the smaller path only, the turbine is efficiently rotated with a small flow amount to generate high supercharging pressure. During high engine speeds, both the large and small paths are used to realize high torque throughout the entire range without turbo lag. There is one turbine housing.
*4 Mounted in RZ and SZ-R grades.
*5 Standard in RZ and SZ-R grades.
*6 Application is compatible with iPhones only. For Android phones, users must access a special user site with an Internet browser for operation.
*7 Dealer option
*8 Scheduled for release at the end of May 2019.
For details, see https://toyotagazooracing.com/jp/gr/grparts/recorder/
*9 Sony Action Cam FDR-X3000/X3000R
*10 Map service (a Bing service) provided by Microsoft (U.S.).
Reference: Main specifications
Grade RZ SZ-R SZ
Length (mm) 4,380
Width (mm) 1,865
Height (mm) 1,290 1,295
Wheelbase (mm) 2,470
Tread Front (mm) 1,595 1,610
Rear (mm) 1,590 1,615
Minimum ground clearance (mm) 112 118
Curb weight (kg) 1,520 1,450 1,410
Powertrain layout Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive
Engine Inline-6 DOHC
turbocharger Inline-4 DOHC
Engine displacement (cc) 2,997 1,998
Transmission 8-speed Sports Automatic Transmission
WLTC mode fuel efficiency* 12.2 12.7 13.1
(km/liter) Normal mode* 8.3 9.2 9.5
Sport mode* 12.9 13.1 13.6
Highway mode* 14.7 14.7 15.1
Suspension Front MacPherson Strut
Brake Front Ventilated disc
monoblock caliper Aluminum floating caliper
Rear Ventilated disc
Floating caliper Aluminum floating caliper
Tire Front 255/35ZR19 255/40R18 225/50R17
Rear 275/35ZR19 275/40R18 255/45R17
*Evaluated value by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
WLTC mode: Global driving mode composed of average driving hours in Normal, Sport, and Highway modes
Normal mode: Relatively slow speed driving affected by traffic signals, traffic congestion, and other similar factors is assumed.
Sport mode: Driving not affected by traffic signals, traffic congestion, or other similar factors is assumed.
Highway mode: Highway driving and other similar driving factors are assumed.
- Toyota - also photos
17.05.2019 / MaP
|The BMW M5 Edition 35 Years
|Maximum performance and exclusive style:The BMW M5 has now been the epitome of the high-performance sports sedan for three and a half decades – the special edition produced by BMW M GmbH to mark this anniversary will be limited to 350 units. more >>
|New Porsche Cayenne S Coupé with 440 PS - Now available to order
|Powerful V6 twin turbo engine supplements rangePorsche is launching another powerful Cayenne Coupé variant: the vehicle is now available to order and will arrive at German dealerships at the end of July. The 2.9-litre V6 engine featuring twin turbochargi more >>
|The Audi A4: even sportier and even more cutting edge
|Audi A4 bestseller embraces prestige of the full-size class with new design language Fully connected and with new MMI touch display Electrification with mild hybrid technology enhances comfort and efficiency S4 TDI combines for the first t more >>
|The new Mercedes-Benz EQC
|The Mercedes-Benz among electric vehiclesIt was at the 2016 Paris Motor Show that Mercedes‑Benz first presented its new product and technology brand for electromobility. In mid-2019 the time has now come: The EQC (combined power consumption: 20.8 more >>
|BMW M GmbH develops new display and control system for its high-performance sports cars
|Unbridled performance and a customised driving experience:Premiere in the new BMW M8 Coupe and new BMW M8 Convertible: Setup button for configuration of powertrain and chassis systems now also enables selection of braking system settings – New M Mode promotes f more >>
|First member of the ID. family is called ID.3
|With immediate effect, potential customers can register for an exclusive special edition of the ID.3 , shown here in camouflage. This vehicle is not yet for sale. Start of the new all-electric family will be in c more >>
|New McLaren GT ready to redefine the rules of Grand Touring
| The new McLaren GT will be revealed at 1300 BST on Wednesday May 15, 2019 Superlight Grand Tourer is fourth new model announced under McLaren Automotive Track25 business plan Take part in the McLaren GT conversation using #NEWRULES more >>
|New Porsche 911 Speedster goes into production – 510 PS and limited edition
|Pure Porsche: open-top two-seater for unfiltered driving experiences The 911 Speedster* already caused a sensation when it was presented as a concept vehicle. Now Porsche is putting the open-top two seater into production. The 911 Speedster more >>
|Mercedes-Benz EQC sales release & start of production
|- Electrified Mercedes hits the roadThe Mercedes-Benz of electric vehicles is ready for launch. The Mercedes-Benz EQC (combined electrical consumption: 20.8 - 19.7 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km) is produced at the Me more >>
|Genesis reveals Mint Concept - Small car, big apple
|• The Mint Concept introduces the new typology of the premium city car as an accessory for the modern, urban lifestyle• Reductive, decluttered interior design features innovative digital UX• Represents a global design effort among Genesis design studios in Europe, Asia, and North Ame more >>
|New Toyota C-HR Neon Lime powered by JBL
|The Limited Edition Toyota C-HR – Neon Lime powered by JBL will be revealed on Friday April 5th at 1 PM in an exclusive set on the French Alps as part of the JBL Snow Party Event, featuring world famous DJs and attracting numerous of VIPs. more >>
|World premiere: XM3 INSPIRE unveiled at the 2019 Seoul Motor Show
| XM3 INSPIRE show car is a distinctive Coupé SUV that embodies a new era in Renault Samsung Motors design. This innovative concept of vehicle previews a Renault Samsung Motors production model intended t more >>
|Mitsubishi Motors launches New eK Wagon & eK X keicars
|Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) today launches the new eK Wagon height-wagon keicar, the first full model change in six years, and adds a new eK X*1 crossover SUV variant to the lineup. Both models go on sale today at MMC dealerships throughout Japan, with manufacturer's recommended retail prices ranging from ¥1,296,000 to ¥1,506,600 for the eK Wagon and from ¥1,414,800 to ¥ more >>
|Kia reveals new SUV concepts at the 2019 Seoul Motor Show
|• World premiere for rugged Kia ‘Masterpiece’ concept• New ‘Signature’ concept previews upcoming compact SUV • Asian debut for fully-electric ‘Imagine by Kia’ concept• Exhibition of latest tech innovations from the brand, inc more >>
|The new BMW 1 Series: final test phase in Miramas.
|Extensive fine tuning at the BMW testing ground in the South of France sharpens the independent character of the new BMW 1 Series.Camouflaged pre-series vehicles of the third-generation BMW 1 Series are currently still undergoing extens more >>
|Porsche presents the Cayenne Coupé
|New body variant added to the SUV rangePorsche is extending its Cayenne family. An even sportier vehicle has been added to the third generation of this highly successful SUV range – the Cayenne Coupé. “The Coupé includes all the technical hi more >>
|The first BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe.
|Sporty, elegant, exclusiveBMW continues the current model offensive and announces innovative vehicle concept for the premium compact segment – world premiere in November 2019, worldwide market launch in the spring of 2020. more >>
|Kia to launch stylish new Ceed crossover
|Kia reveals the first sketch of its new Ceed crossover.From the very beginning of Ceed development 15 years ago, Kia has taken an open-minded approach to potential body styles. Many have been considered, and, in creating the new Ceed range, Kia’s European des more >>
|The new Volkswagen Golf Variant TGI with three natural gas tanks
|New Golf Variant TGI natural gas model now available to orderNo need to compromise on space: Golf Variant TGI with space-saving natural gas tanks as integrated underfloor solutionThird natural gas tank for additional range of 80 kilometres more >>
|Mercedes-Benz CL of the C 215 model series: Luxurious sportiness in top form
|Twenty years ago, Mercedes-Benz presented the latest CL of the C 215 model series at the Geneva Motor Show, a predecessor of today’s S-Class coupé. As a world’s first, the luxury class coupé offers, amongst other things, the Active Body Control (ABC) active chassis system, a Mercedes-Benz development for active safety. By 2006, 47,984 of these coupé vehi more >>
|Leon CUPRA R ST brings new levels of uniqueness, sophistication and performance
|The brand crafts a very special edition • CUPRA moulds the Leon to create an exclusive and high-performance version• The Leon CUPRA R ST comes equipped with the 2.0 TSI 300 PS , 4Drive and more >>
|Lamborghini Huracán Super Trofeo Evo Collector 2019: black gold
|Lamborghini Squadra Corse presents the Huracán Super Trofeo Evo Collector 2019, a special edition of the racing car that competes in the Lamborghini single-brand championships. The new Collector was unveiled d more >>
|Renault unveils Alaskan ICE Edition
|.... a show car with an enhanced design that announces a limited series that will be available from September• Renault Alaskan ICE Edition, in its glacier white colour, contrasts with black and red exterior more >>
|New 2019 Toyota Prius with intelligent all-wheel drive
|Maintaining its distinguished reputation for introducing new technologies, the new Prius takes the next step in the hybrid driving experience as the first self-charging Toyota hybrid passenger car to feature all-wheel drive.The Toyota Prius more >>
|The Audi R8 V10 Decennium : Homage to ten years of the V10 engine
|Limited series of 222 units, individually numbered Coupé with exclusive design highlights Edition model coincides with sales launch of the new Audi R8 more >>
|NEW Toyota COROLLA TREK - Designed for active lifestyles and outdoor pursuits
|Corolla TREK, available only on Touring Sports models with a choice of 1.8 or 2.0 litre self-charging hybrid powertrains, reflects the growing popularity of crossover-type, rugged looking vehicles within the European C-segment.Designed to appeal t more >>
|NEW COROLLA GR SPORT - The second model to join Toyota's European GR SPORT range
|Following the successful launch of the new Corolla earlier this year – praised for its dynamic look and engaging driving capabilities – Toyota presents the Corolla GR SPORT, a sportier variant that injects more >>
|The New Plug-In Hybrid Models Audi Q5, A6, A7 and A8
|Efficient and Powerful: Audi A8, A7 Sportback, A6 and Q5 as plug-in hybrids with a strong electric motor, high battery capacity and a new drive strategy An electric range of more than 40 km according to more >>
|The Audi RS 5 Sportback can now be ordered
|Superior driving performance and emotional design Audi RS 5 now also available as Sportback in Europe 2.9 TFSI V6 biturbo engine with 331 kW (450 hp) and 600 Nm (442.5 lb-ft) of torque &n more >>
|The new Audi SQ5 TDI: Instant performance thanks to electric powered compressor
|3.0 V6 TDI engine with 255 kW (347 hp), 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft), electric powered compressor, classic turbocharger and 48 V mild hybrid technology Eight-speed tiptronic and quattro permanent all-wheel drive &nbs more >>
|Lexus RC F Track Edition - Focus on greater performance and style
| New RC F Track Edition coupe with exclusive performance styling upgrades, developed with input from international Lexus GT racing teams Refreshed Lexus RC F range with improved aerodynamics and handling and updated design European debut at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show on 5 March more >>
|Seven amazing features on the new Lexus UX
1. THE SCIENCE OF LUXURY DOOR SOUNDSCar doors are the driver’s first point of contact point with anyvehicle. Leaving no stone unturned in their pursuit of luxury, Lexus acoustic engineers collaborated with more >>
|The new Lexus UX
|- OLD “CREATIVE URBAN EXPLORER” DESIGN· THE FIRST LEXUS BUILT ON THE NEW GA–C GLOBAL ARCHITECTURE PLATFORM· EQUIPPED WITH BRAND NEW 4THGENERATION SELF-CHARGING HYBRID POWERTRAIN· SECOND GENERATION ‘LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM +’ STANDARD ON ALL VERSIONS IN EUROPE (*) more >>
|New Mitsubishi Delica D:5 All-round Minivan Goes on Sale
|Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) announced the launch of the New Delica D:5 all-round minivan at affiliated dealerships nationwide in Japan. Manufacturer's recommended retail prices range from ¥3,842,640 to ¥4,216,320 (incl. consumption tax). more >>
|Toyota - Taking safety to a higher level
| New Toyota Safety Sense with upgraded features fitted as standard across the range Upgraded Pre-Collision System (PCS), full range Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Road Sign Assist (RSA) and Automatic High Beam (AHB) New intelligent Adaptive Cruiser Control (ACC) an more >>
|Toyota Range with premium comfort and convenience technology
| Extensive standard equipment on full model range Availability of three types of LED headlamps New HMI combining 10” Head-up Display, 7” Multi-information display and 8” central touch-screen Availability of connected services more >>
|Toyota Corolla: Spacious and refined interior
| All-new spacious, modern and cohesive interior offering the highest levels of visual and tactile quality Ergonomically excellent driver’s cockpit area with slimmer dashboard with wider, higher centre console More engaging driving position and newly developed front seats&nbs more >>
|Toyota Corolla - Three distinct body styles
| The new GA-C platform gives design freedom for individually distinctive Hatchback, Touring Sports and Sedan variants Lower roof, bonnet and seat hip points with wider front and rear track for lower centre of gravit more >>
|Toyota Corolla expanded hybrid line-up
| First Toyota model to offer a choice of two self-charging hybrid powertrains - 122 DIN hp, 1.8 litre or new 180 DIN hp, 2.0 litre- on Hatchback and Touring Sports 1.8 litre self-charging hybrid available for the first time on the legendary Corolla Sedan Hatchback and Touring Sports available with more >>